Saturday, August 30, 2014

72 years ago: Hong Kong's wartime diaries

72 years ago: Hong Kong's wartime diaries


31 Aug 1942, Barbara Anslow's diary

Posted: 22 Feb 2012 06:36 AM PST

Book / Document: 
Barbara Anslow's diary
Date of events described: 
Mon, 1942-08-31

Rain and typhoony.  Electricity off for a while.  French in am, some other girls have now joined.  ((These classes were held in the upper gallery of St Stephen's Hall.))

Mary is down for a chest x-ray.

Thought I was going to lose my fountain pen this morning((i.e. I was writing my diary with it beside the P.O. Club)):  two Japs came along and had their eyes on it - but nothing happened.

31 Aug 1942, R. E. Jones Wartime diary

Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:48 AM PDT

Book / Document: 
R. E. Jones Wartime diary
Date of events described: 
Mon, 1942-08-31

Reichtag having trouble re where-abouts of Hitler. Germans falling back in places on Russian Front.

Repatriation in the air.

Much cooler.

31 Aug 1942, Chronology of Events Related to Stanley Civilian Internment Camp

Posted: 31 Mar 2014 05:31 AM PDT

Date of events described: 
Mon, 1942-08-31

The Detroit News begins front page serialisation of Gwen Dew's 'I Was a Prisoner of the Japs.' It begins:

I was hunting for war. I found it. I wanted to know what war looked like thorugh a woman's eyes. Now I know. Horror, destruction, torture, hunger, death. I want to tell you in Detroit what it means if war comes to your front door.

Source:

http://www.albionmich.com/history/histor_notebook/S_Dew.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment